July 20, 2021
Prince George County Public Schools reminds families to ensure their child's immunizations are up to date following updates to the Commonwealth's requirements that went into effect on July 1 as the beginning of the 2021-22 School Year approaches.
Earlier this month, amendments to the Code of Virginia §32.1-46.A.4 approved by the 2020 General Assembly took effect, which requires:
- Two doses of properly spaced human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine (for males and females). The first dose is to be administered before the child enters the seventh grade.
- Note: A parent or guardian has the right to decide if their child receives the HPV vaccine. A student is allowed to attend school and be missing the HPV vaccine. Families are encouraged to discuss this with their healthcare provider.
- Two or three properly spaced doses of rotavirus vaccine, depending on the manufacturer, for children up to eight months of age.
- Two properly spaced doses of hepatitis A vaccine (HAV). The first dose is to be administered at 12 months or older.
- Two properly spaced doses of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MenACWY). The first dose is to be administered prior to entry to the seventh grade. The second dose shall be administered prior to entry to the twelfth grade.
In continuing with the current guidelines, as a reminder, a Tdap booster will be required for all seventh grade students.
The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) has created a list of frequently asked questions for our families as the amendments take effect this month. That information is linked below this article.
The Crater Health District continues to provide opportunities for our community to receive immunizations. Below is the schedule for the district's immunization clinics; please note:
- Immunizations are by appointment
- Walk-ins are welcome for the COVID-19 vaccine only
- Bring only the child(ren) receiving immunizations
- Bring shot records and insurance information
- Call the telephone number below each health department to schedule an appointment
Crater Health District Immunization Clinic Schedule
Prince George Health Department
1st, 3rd, 5th Monday: 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
Hopewell Health Department
Wednesdays: 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
Petersburg Health Department
Tuesdays: 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
Surry Health Department
2nd and 4th Wednesday: 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
Sussex Health Department
2nd and 4th Monday: 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
Dinwiddie Health Department
1st, 3rd, and 5th Monday: 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
Greensville/Emporia Health Department
2nd and 4th Monday: 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
Families can find additional information on the VDH's School Requirements website by visiting https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/.
Division Coordinator of Health Services